Thoughtful Writer ǀ Thorough Researcher ǀ Social Media Pioneer
My writing provokes, examines, questions, entertains, and discovers. With my research, I seek to answer people’s questions, providing them information they want and need. As a thought-provoking social media expert, I jump on key trends, engage followers in conversation, and leverage key influencers. I have advanced Spanish language skills, and am passionate, innovative, creative, and fun.
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Creates, fact-checks and updates white papers, fact-sheets, and reports in English and Spanish.
• Contributes articles, blog posts, reviews, social media posts, and essays to various magazines and websites about running, feminism, babies, sexism, career issues, food, wine, body image, rape, and pop culture.
• Managed a large project of publishing statistical factsheets and white papers about gender, work, and diversity, including writing, editing, monitoring staff’s progress, and fact-checking.
• Provides accessible information to multiple organizations to produce convincing arguments, deliver background research for internal decisions, and share critical knowledge necessary for presentations, reports, and creating change.
• Expertise in using the Internet and various databases, including EBSCOhost, Factiva, LexisNexis, and Proquest, for research purposes.
• Extensive experience acquiring, cataloging and organizing articles, books, videos, and reports.
Social Media Development and Management
• Leader and creator of social media efforts, matching the organization’s overall strategic plans.
• Experienced in professional use of various social media channels and tools, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Tumblr, Blogger, Instagram, Hootsuite, TweetDeck, Blogger, and WordPress.
• Collects and analyzes social media metrics in order to improve social media reach.
• Integrates social media into overall strategic plan to ensure the social media reflects the goals of the organization.
• Experienced with using various Content Management Systems and SEO.
• Managed an influential global diversity team.
Supervision and Training
• Directed and effectively delegated tasks to dozens of interns and librarians while providing them with meaningful supervision and mentorship to gain a solid foundation of librarianship and social media.
• Developed bibliographic instruction and training sessions on topics like “The Basics of del.icio.us,” “Article Hunting,” “30 Websites in 30 Minutes,” and “Google is My Valentine.”
Early Learning Childhood/Lower Division Librarian (January 2017-Present)
Avenues: The World School: New York, New York
Instructing library to children from nursery through fourth grade, including read-alouds, research basics, and bibliographic instruction. Topics ranged from poetry to social justice to diversity to holidays.
Freelance Writer (January 2015-Present)
Freelance writer for various websites and publications, including Bustle, Trail Runner, Library Journal, Ultrarunning, Baby Gaga, Skirt Collective, New York Wine Events, and Greenpointers. Full list of publications on www.cherylyanek.com
Director (2013-January 2016); Senior Associate Librarian (2009-2013); Associate Librarian (2006-2009)
Catalyst: New York, New York
Researcher, reference librarian, social media manager, and author of white papers and fact-sheets about women, workplace trends, and diversity at a women’s nonprofit.
Katharine Gibbs School: New York, New York
Reference librarian for a small two-year college.
Barnard University: New York, New York
Reference librarian for a large women’s college.
Junior Librarian (2003-2005)
Deloitte Consulting: New York, New York
Performed research for clients; organized and collected books, periodicals, and articles; shared critical research and news with consultants and their clients.
Assistant Librarian (2001-2003)
Allen Ginsberg Library, Naropa University: Boulder, Colorado
Managed Interlibrary Loan process; educated students in research techniques; assisted users at circulation desk with reference queries and materials.
• Special Library Association New York: Listen to Your Users – Then You Can Give Them What They Want (July 2015)
• Special Library Association 2015: Poster Session: More, More, More to Do, Yet Less, Less, Less Time: Here’s How to Be More Productive Than Ever! (June 2015)
• Special Library Association IT Division/European Division: Listen to Me: How to Perfect Your Voice on Social Media for Maximum Engagement (April 2015)
• Metropolitan Library Council Conference: What They Really Want: How to Create Innovative Research That People Will Actually Use (January 2015)
• Metropolitan Library Council Reference Special Interest Group: Building an International Online Community: Social Media at Catalyst (July 2014)
• Special Library Association Conference (SLA) Social Media for Everyone and Every Library: How to Use New Apps and Tools in Innovative Ways (June 2014); SLA Virtual Conference 2014 (October 2014)
• Special Library Association 2013 Conference and SLA 2013 Virtual Conference: Social Media Strategy: Just Say No to Aimlessness: Strategic Leveraging of Social Media Content (June 2013 and September 2013)
• Special Library Association 2012: Social Media: #IKnowTheBasicsWhat’sNext (July 2012)
• Special Library Association 2009: Radical Reference: Using Technology to Provide Access for All
Hatha Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training. Arambol, Goa, India.
MLS School of Library and Information Science CUNY-Queens College: Flushing, New York
MFA Writing & Poetics Naropa University: Boulder, Colorado
• Jack Kerouac Scholarship Recipient, 2003.
BA Creative Writing; Minors: Journalism and Women’s Studies SUNY-New Paltz: New Paltz, New York
• Magna Cum Laude; Dean’s List
EXTERNAL LEADERSHIP ROLES
Black Rock City 50k Ultramarathon Race Director
Metropolitan Library Council, co-leader Social Media Special Interest Group
Special Library Association Member; Board Member (Social Media Chair) of IT Division
Chaos Cooking Social Media Team Lead
North Brooklyn Runners Educational Member Program Coordinator